Add to favourites
It’s Halloween again. Time to stock up on sweets and carve those pumpkins.
Here’s what you’ll need
- serrated steak knife
- soup spoon
- tealight candles
- matches (long ones make it easiest to light the candle through the mouth or lid)
- pencil with eraser (both optional)
How to carve the pumpkin
- Take a serrated steak knife and sarve out two triangular eye holes. The pieces should pop out easily.
- Cut a hole in the top of the pumpkin around the stem that is large enough to fit your hand into. This will be the lid of the pumpkin. Cut or scrape off the pulp. Take this off for now and put to one side.
- Using your fingers, pull out the seeds – you can grill these in the oven to eat if you like. A recipe is here.
- Take a pencil and draw the jagged mouth outline – if you make a mistake you can erase it and try again.
- Using the steak knife follow the shape of the jagged mouth outline in stabbing motions until the mouth also pops out.
- Take a soup spoon and scoop out the pulp.
- Place a tealight candle inside and light.
- Place the lid back on top.
- Display on a bench or in a window.